Growing health and effectiveness

A blog centered around The Addington Method, leadership, culture, organizational clarity, faith issues, teams, Emotional Intelligence, personal growth, dysfunctional and healthy leaders, boards and governance, church boards, organizational and congregational cultures, staff alignment, intentional results and missions.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

God still Heals

One year ago I spent 32 days in the Intensive Care Unit and 42 days in the hospital, 18 days of which were in an induced coma on a ventilator. I came into the hospital with MRSA pneumonia which led to many complications: acute respritory distress syndrome, congestive heart failure, a torn mitral valve in the heart, fevers of 103.8, a heart rate of 240 and septic shock. By all human reasoning I should not have survived.


But: God raised up an army of people praying from around the world and God did the impossible, even healing the failed mitral valve after a day of intense prayer and fasting. To this day my doctors cannot get their hands around my healing. They know there was outside intervention.

I have learned many lessons from my hospital stay. I have learned to pray boldly knowing that God can do the impossible. I have learned that every day is an undeserved gift of grace to be used for his purposes. I have learned that life can change almost instantly so I don't want to squander the time God has given. I have learned of God's great goodness, mercy and love.

Shortly after leaving the hospital I wrote these words in my journal. More than ever I am aware that every day is an undeserved gift from God. That I owe him my life and that He has graciously granted me additional life to server Him. I don't deserve it but that is the nature of grace.

I am reminded of that grace every single morning. And I thank Him for it. God is good - all the time.

No comments: