Growing health and effectiveness

A blog centered around The Addington Method, leadership, culture, organizational clarity, faith issues, teams, Emotional Intelligence, personal growth, dysfunctional and healthy leaders, boards and governance, church boards, organizational and congregational cultures, staff alignment, intentional results and missions.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The greatest compliment and greatest joy

I received the greatest compliment I could get today. It is not that I am a great leader or lead a perfect organization. But as a leader it is what I love to hear. One of our staff just completed his first hard year on the field in missions and told me how much he love being part of our organization. 


What it told me is that we had succeeded in helping him get into his sweet spot. He told me he worked for the greatest leader in the world (not me - his team leader) and that in spite of the challenges, he was so grateful to be part of our organization.


People are the greatest asset we have in ministry. When we treat them well, when we position them right, when we empower them significantly and when we make it possible for them to have significant impact, we create an environment that is designed to help people reach their full potential.


Leaders do a lot of things. One of the most important things they do is to create an environment where staff can flourish. When they flourish we flourish. When they don't we don't.  When they win we win.


I love creating an environment where people can be their best. It is one of the top responsibilities of leaders. What we do is not about us but about how we serve those who work for us. The most important service is creating an environment where people flourish.


I cannot take the credit because we have a great team. But I know that we are on the right track when those who make up our wonderful staff are deeply fulfilled. That makes my heart happy.

No comments: