Growing health and effectiveness

A blog centered around The Addington Method, leadership, culture, organizational clarity, faith issues, teams, Emotional Intelligence, personal growth, dysfunctional and healthy leaders, boards and governance, church boards, organizational and congregational cultures, staff alignment, intentional results and missions.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Theological truths in an election season: Obama, Romney and God

No, you will find no endorsement here and I am not sure even my boys know how I voted in the last election. And yes I do care about the outcome - but I care about some other things even more.

I believe that Who is in my house (Jesus) is more important than who is in the White House. The latter matters but the former matters ever so much more.

My trust for the future is never in politicians but always in a sovereign, holy, loving and personal God who sits on the throne in heaven. He is sovereign in spite of any laws, policies, spending, or executive orders. (Habakkuk 2:20).

No matter who wins we are commanded to pray for our leaders, that they would lead with wisdom and righteousness. If we really believe in prayer we will complain less and pray more.

God can use any circumstance in a nation for His purposes (Acts 17:26-27). He may even use hard times to awaken His church in the United States!

While laws influence morality or the lack of it, the ultimate answer to immoral practices is a changed heart through the Gospel. Jesus is the ultimate answer to our nations problems.

Sometimes nations get what they deserve (see Amos). Even when they do, God can use the events of our world good or bad to build His church - and He does. (Acts 17:26-27). And even in the worst of times, we can rejoice in God our Savior (Habakkuk 3:16-19): "The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights."

God's people are united by Jesus, not by any political party or political ideology  Political discourse is not a church affair, Jesus is. Christians should be good citizens and involved politically as their conscience dictates but it is Jesus only, and His Spirit who unites us as One body (Ephesians 4). Anytime politics divides God's people we have forgotten what unites us.

I admit to being tired of shallow political spin. I am forever glad that my hope is not in any political system but in a sovereign, good, loving Heavenly Father. Whatever happens in this election or after, He is constant. Administrations rule for a period of years. Jesus rules forever and ever - Amen!

No comments: