In my work with churches and Christian organizations I see more unhealthy than healthy staff cultures. I would love to reverse that order. It is truly a gift to work in a healthy environment and can be a curse to work in an unhealthy one. Here are some of the components of a truly healthy staff culture.
1. A leader who is open, humble, non-defensive and collaborative.
2. An environment where robust dialogue is welcomed and encouraged along with unity once decisions have been made.
3. Having the right people in the right seats.
4. High EQ (Emotional Intelligence) among staff members and leaders.
5. Clarity of direction as to where the organization is headed.
6. Having clarity in one's role and the necessary tools to accomplish one's job.
7. A collegial open atmosphere from the leader on down.
8. The ability to speak into things that impact one's job.
9. Candid, honest dialogue and conversation in an atmosphere of respect.
10. High in both empowerment and accountability.
My new book, Deep Influence: Unseen Practices That Will Revolutionize Your Leadership, is now available for pre-order on Amazon.