The problem with this is that it is not healthy and it deprives us of the ability to think for ourselves and hold our own opinions. Healthy people are self defined. They have their own opinions and convictions and are willing to share them even when it goes against the crowd. It may cause disruption to the comfort of the group but it challenges the prevailing group think and causes others to think more deeply. It is also far more honest and authentic than simply going with the crowd.
What are the characteristics of a self defined individual?
- They know who they are in terms of strengths and weaknesses
- They think deeply about issues and come to their own conclusions
- They are not afraid to share their opinions even when it goes against group think or conventional wisdom
- They listen to others and evaluate their opinions but in the end they make up their own minds
- They are not afraid to be who they are
- They are not intimidated by the opinions of others even when there is a clash of ideas
TJ Addington (Addington Consulting) has a passion to help individuals and organizations maximize their impact and go to the next level of effectiveness. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Creating cultures of organizational excellence."