Growing health and effectiveness

A blog centered around The Addington Method, leadership, culture, organizational clarity, faith issues, teams, Emotional Intelligence, personal growth, dysfunctional and healthy leaders, boards and governance, church boards, organizational and congregational cultures, staff alignment, intentional results and missions.

Friday, December 28, 2018

What are the most important priorities in your life?


Priorities matter. They reflect us in a unique way because they reflect our character and commitments. For me, these include my marriage, my family, my God and my work - using my gifts that God has given me. These four priorities reflect my deepest desires and highest attention.

Our challenge is that those things that are most important to us are often not given the highest attention in our lives. We know they are important but other issues and things take their place in the normal course of our lives. The only way to compensate for this is to ensure that what is truly important to us is that which we focus on first, leaving other things for later.

The end of one year and the beginning of another is a great time to evaluate that which is most important. How did we do this year? What do we want to accomplish next year? What is our plan to nurture the important and not allow the less important to crowd out the important?

If you are serious about the most important, take the time to identify what you want to accomplish in those areas of life this coming year. And then write down you plan with specifics that you can work on through the year. 

You may not fulfill you plan perfectly but a plan is always better than no plan and progress better than the status quo. Each year is an opportunity to grow in those areas that are most important to us. Don't let the opportunity go by. It is precious as life is short. In fact, we have no idea how long we will be on this earth. We want to minimize the "I wish I had..." at the end of our lives and replace it with "I am so glad that I..." 

Ecclesiastes tells us that as long as there is life there is hope. Use the time that you have and focus on the most important because that is what will matter at the end of our lives. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a Good reminder as I head into 2019. Thank you TJ