Growing health and effectiveness

A blog centered around The Addington Method, leadership, culture, organizational clarity, faith issues, teams, Emotional Intelligence, personal growth, dysfunctional and healthy leaders, boards and governance, church boards, organizational and congregational cultures, staff alignment, intentional results and missions.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Six questions ministry leaders ought to ask regularly


Periodically it is helpful to ask the question: What can I do raise the bar in my effectiveness?

It is incremental gains in our effectiveness which make a big difference over time. These do not need to be large changes but all of us ought to be making changes on a regular basis. Consider these questions:

What do I need to focus on more closely to drive our mission forward?
Circumstances, needs and opportunities change over time. It is a mistake to simply think that if I do the same things that I always did that I will be maximizing my impact. In fact, not asking this question is what causes us to "get into a rut" rather than staying fresh.

What am I doing that I should give up?
We ought to be able and willing to give something up to others. You cannot take on new responsibilities or refocus your priorities without making room by giving something else up. Not doing this becomes a trap that leads to burnout and over-commitment  You give up what others can do and what you do not have to do, whether to volunteers or other staff.

How can I organize my time for greater effectiveness?
Time is the most precious commodity we have and is the one thing we can never get back. Almost all of us can make modifications for how we organize our time which would allow us to accomplish more without working more. Consider looking through your schedule and seeing where you are actually spending your time. Does it reflect the priorities you want it to? What changes would help you be more effective?

How can I work smarter, not longer?
Most of us in ministry already work too long. The question is how can we work smarter, accomplish more but not work longer? Often if we would take a few hours to think about what we do and how we do it we would realize that there are alternative ways to get certain things done that would free up time for more important priorities.

What am I going to do to stay sharp?
Intentional growth is a non-negotiable for those who want the get the advantage and stay sharp. Do you know where you need to develop and do you have a plan for that development? None of us are exempt from that need.


Are there specific challenges I believe my ministry is going to face that I need to be aware of?
Every ministry has specific challenges that it is likely to face. Thinking ahead about the challenges you are likely to face allows you to consider how you will potentially respond to those challenges.

1 comment:

Edmund Chan said...

Great post, Tim! You have asked very pertinent questions for effecive leadership!

I've already started to get some time to process your questions... and answer them for myself!

In grateful reciprocity, here's my list of four defining questions that I regularly ask myself -

1. WHAT FOR?
- Why am I doing what I'm doing? What exactly am I trying to accomplish? What's my God-given PURPOSE for my leadership or ministry?

2. WHAT KIND?
- What's the God-approved PRODUCT of my leadership or ministry? What's the quality or standard of such a product?

3. WHAT'S POSSIBLE?
- What are some key promises God has given? How do they look like when actualized through my leadership or ministry?

4. WHAT'S NEXT?
- How can I accomplish what I set out to accomplish? What are the strategic vehicles to set in place? What are the specific next steps to take to make it happen?

- Edmund Chan (Singapore)