- Do they think big picture or small picture? (think big)
- Can they engage the future of the organization or simply deal with status quo? (think future)
- Do they exhibit personal flexibility or are they inflexible in their thinking? (think flexibly)
- When problem solving do they see all the pieces or just some of the pieces? (think all)
- Do they like to micromanage or empower? (think empowerment)
- Can they trust staff or do they need to know everything before staff can act? (think trust)
- Do they work synergistically with others or need things their way? (think synergistically)
- Do they think missionally or like to deal with inconsequential issues? (think missionally)
- Are they articulate and thoughtful or confusing and quick to make judgements? (think articulate and thoughtful)
Intellectual capacity matters in any church or organization that wants to go anywhere and which is governed by a board. Again, it is not about education level. It is about the ability to think well and understand the big picture of the organization - in order to help it get there.
Think about the board members you know who do that well and those who lack the skill. There is the difference!